September road trip

September road trip
September road trip

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Los Alamos- week 2



It’s Saturday April 26th and we’ve been in Los Alamos almost two weeks. Once again we have had a relaxing week. I did a few projects on the motorhome and Millie did some sewing, using Ray Anne’s large dining room table as a sewing table. Millie is very talented; she made a dress on Rae Anne’s machine in the time it took me to troubleshoot the bobbin winder on her motorhome sewing machine.

I installed a receptacle in the living area behind the driver’s seat. I had to do the same thing with the old motorhome; I don’t know why the manufacturers neglect to serve this area with power. In the process of doing the receptacle I inventoried all the receptacles in the coach. I discovered that the three receptacle circuits are not balanced very well. Two circuits on the passenger side are lightly loaded and the third circuit is the one we use the most. I have studied the area within which I can route wires and plan on separating the driver’s side into three separate circuits the next time we stop in one location for a few days.



Everyday I take the girls walking on the National Forest trails that pass close by our parking spot. Maggie and Dixie don’t talk much so it gives me lots of time to contemplate the great mystery of how this rugged but beautiful landscape was created. New Mexico has some of the most fascinating landscape that we’ve seen anywhere, most of it is uninhabited and just the same as it’s been for millions of years.


As you know there are two predominate theories as to how the earth and the universe where created, both equally farfetched to my simple way of reasoning. The religious simply state; God did it. The scientist’s say 13.82 billion years ago the whole universe was densely packed into a pinpoint and it exploded. 


I’m not going into the faith based explanation, the rugged mountains have me in a pragmatic state of mind and New Mexico sure looks to me like it was created in a cataclysmic event. The physical evidence all around me makes the explosive theory sound logical and many learned people have studied it and provide a chain of evidence to support the theory. My ponderance is this; before the Big Bang when all the matter of the universe was packed into one point, where did the point come from? 


While you’re mulling that over, let me finish by blaming my mental wandering on this land of enchantment, the western mountains made John Denver a folk singer and me a philosopher. It is an intriguing place and I like exploring here more each time we visit, but I’m not planning on leaving the beach anytime soon, there’s still snow in the mountains here! 


This morning the whole family got up early and participated in a 2 mile dog trot to raise funds for the local animal shelter. Evan and Marcus went the easy way, riding in strollers pushed by their parents.  Dixie who has never fully recovered from being hit by a truck started lagging after one mile and rode the rest of the way in one of the strollers. Maggie walked almost the whole way, I carried her for about one hundred yards at the halfway mark and she was ready to go again.
High winds are expected for the weekend here, but we hope to be able to leave on Monday. As nice as it is here, we can hear the open road calling and we just gotta go!


UPDATE: As I write this on Saturday evening the wind is blowing 30-40 mph and gusting to who knows how fast. But that’s all good; it’s blowing the snow that’s falling into the next county!

No comments:

Post a Comment