September road trip

September road trip
September road trip

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Snowbirds



As time progressed after the last posting I kept reminding myself that I should write something. It’s not that I’m bored with the Dispatch, it’s just that this week has been pretty routine and I didn’t want to bore you with the details.

I’m going to reveal a blog secret; I jot down short notes every day so I will remember what we have done in between postings. My notes for the past week have activities like; returned parts to Lowes, went to Costco, laundry day. There were a few items that warrant a line or two, I’ll try to make them sound interesting.

On our first Valentines Day, Millie and I traded our normal shorts and flip-flops for dress clothes and real shoes to attend a dance here at the campground. Music was a live band called Pure Country Gold, their name a bit of a misnomer as they had a large repertoire of good dance tunes.



Mike Thomas, who is another frequent musical performer at the campground, was at the party taking photographs of the couples. Photography is his daytime job; a lot of the promotional photography for Disney World is done by Mike.

I did some work on the motorhome that’s a little noteworthy. Most motorhomes use the same retracting steps and just by design they have a bit of a give when stepped on. Our steps were well beyond that and would spring down an inch or two under load. Investigation revealed the steps were ok but the undercarriage they were bolted to was cracked. We took a couple trips to Lowes for angle iron, some fastening hardware and a couple tools. My friend Stanley would have everything needed for any contingency packed in his motorhome and there was a time I would to, but you can readily buy anything you need no matter where you are now a days. A few hours work corrected the break and reinforced the mount to stronger than new. 



That sums up this past week, like I said it was fairly routine, but being a snowbird isn’t about being on vacation everyday. I was thinking about that while riding my bike the other day when I had an epiphany moment. It’s the middle of February; 85 degrees and sunny, I’m riding my bicycle wearing shorts and most of the country has been enduring a long cold winter. I guess we are in vacation mode. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment