September road trip

September road trip
September road trip

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

North Carolina wedding



I’m sure my son or any other youngster would listen to me trying to describe how busy I am and reply “you’ve been home since when and that’s all you’ve done!” I guess the truth is, for a variety of reasons it takes me longer to get things done. So here we are at summers end and I haven’t completed everything I had planned, oh the stress of it all, I need a vacation!
Mirror removal


Lucky for me we had planned on attending a wedding in North Carolina, so unfinished projects be damned, we’re off on another road trip!

It was an easy run of a little over 200 miles to the city park at Reidsville North Carolina from our home in Myrtle Beach. The park on Lake Reidsville has a nice campground and we had reserved a waterfront site. We had a beautiful view of the lake out the windshield.

The wedding is south of Reidsville in Kernersville but we chose our location so we could take a short drive up to Axton Virginia on Saturday morning to visit Millie’s brother and his wife. Earnest and Nancy are doing pretty well all things considered. This was my second visit to their home and it was as enjoyable as my first, they’re good folks and easy to feel comfortable around. We picked some home grown tomatoes from their garden and they are delicious, the best we’ve had this season.



 On Saturday afternoon we attended the wedding of Kimberly Brooke Yow and Robert Kyle Self. The wedding celebration was performed outdoors at Dewberry Manor, a farm house setting banquet facility. 
The wedding party

Myself, Millie, Kimberly, Robert


The groom, Robert Self is the grandchild of Millie’s sister Lucille and her husband Eddie Self. I got to meet both of Eddie and Lucille’s sons and some of their grandchildren. It was interesting to but faces with names I’ve heard about. Millie is southern you know and story telling is part of their heritage so I’m treated to many family narratives. Another of Millie’s sisters, Betty and her husband Paul were also at the wedding. They have the blueberry farm near Mount Rogers that I’ve written about in previous blogs. 
Dewberry Manor Farm


The weather which looked threatening all day held off and the wedding and reception both were enjoyed outdoors on Dewberries large courtyard. From all accounts, a good time was had by all; they were still dancing when we left!

No comments:

Post a Comment