September road trip

September road trip
September road trip

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Reidsville NC to Newport News, VA



Sunday Sept 14th we drove a leisurely 200 miles from Lake Reidsville NC to Bowling Green VA. Along the way we drove past the Farm that that Millie would have retired to if her late husband had not become ill. My condolences to the family on his loss, especially to his daughter RaeAnne but I’m awful glad that Millie is now with me. Having her as my wife is a gift that I cherish everyday. A little further along but still near the farm we stopped at Sheldon’s restaurant for chicken and dumplings.
Millie at Sheldon's restaurant in Virginia



The rest of the day was uneventful; we overnighted at Hidden Acres Family Campground at Bowling Green. The next day, Monday we continued on to Lum’s Pond State Park. I have been coping with a sore back since we left Myrtle Beach, and it wasn’t getting any better. I had planned on taking Millie to Longwood Gardens on Tuesday but instead spent the day recuperating. We did get out in the afternoon to the grocery store and stopped for a brief visit with my brother Dave.
My parents, Mary and John Midash


Wednesday we visited my parents who are 90 and 91 and still live in the same house they’ve been in since 1953. My Brother Dave lives 2 miles away and checks on them daily. Later that evening we met old friends for dinner at Shaffer’s Restaurant in Chesapeake City MD. The Kalmar Nyckel a replica of the ship the Swedes first sailed to Delaware in 1638 was docked a few feet from where we enjoyed our meal and camaraderie.
My friends, Chuck and Sallie

The Kalmar Nyckel in Chesapeake City, Maryland

Thursday we visited my parents again and then met my son and his family at Los Machados for a Mexican dinner. The next morning we packed up the motorhome and drove about 75 miles south to the Delaware Seashore State Park campground at Indian River Inlet.
My granddaughter Delaney Midash


The new bridge over the inlet is finally open and the state park campground in its shadow is getting back to some order, although staying in the section called the old camp still reminds me of an trailer park. Why do I stay here? It is the only campground in Delaware from which you can walk to the ocean. The inlet bridge project has been going on since 2004, making it the only bridge that took longer to build than the back gate overpass in Myrtle Beach! The back gate project is a simple highway overpass, it is not open yet after years of construction.
The bridge over the Indian River inlet in Delaware


My brother John and his wife Sandy recently moved to the area and they drove over to visit us at the Inlet. The next day, Saturday we drove the length of the rest of the Delmarva Peninsula, crossed 20+/- miles over/under the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay via the Bay bridge Tunnel. We then traversed the city of Norfolk and took another tunnel under Hampton Roads and then on to the city of Newport News. We are staying at a city park campground here and will be here for another day.
Maggie my copy writer hard at work on this posting

No comments:

Post a Comment