September road trip

September road trip
September road trip

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Somewhere in Texas



The fog lifted the morning we left Galveston. We detoured down Beach Blvd for a few blocks for a farewell look at the beach, this being the first time we could see it from the road. We took I-35 to Houston even though we normally shun interstates when we can. As I suspected the land between Galveston and Houston is never ending suburbia so we didn’t miss much by zipping by on the highway. Soon we started getting glimpses of the Houston skyline and the interstate started getting wider. By the time we got to the city it was 4 to 5 lanes in each direction.
Houston Texas


Both the city and its freeway system are quite stunning sights to behold. Houston is a very large city with more high rises than I’ve seen anywhere except the Big Apple. Houston is in fact the fourth largest city in population behind only New York City, LA, and Chicago. When you approach intersecting turnpikes the connecting ramps spiraling every direction look like a plate of linguini. Where I-35 and I-10 merged together for a short stretch I counted 8 lanes in my direction that makes that section of road a total of 16 lanes wide. 
I-35 and I-10


Our quick fly by of the city has sparked an interest and next time we come by this way I think I’ll schedule some time to see the town.

Our destination for Saturday was a Thousand Trails Campground about halfway between Houston and San Antonio. The campground is on gently rolling pasture and pecan grove along the Colorado River. I haven’t researched it but don’t see how it could be the same Colorado River that spills over the Hoover Dam in Arizona, there must be two of them. 
A rose among the wild flowers


We’ve been trying to have a zero day where we do nothing, but there’s always something that needs our attention. Our two little dogs have their routines, the derailleur on Millie’s bike had to be adjusted and as usual I am behind in the blog.
Colorado River


Today we took a ride into the nearby town of Columbus, population 3600+/-. Typical small town, but the countryside in this area is very nice, very rural, it has rolling hills, pastures that extend as far as you can see, woodlands with hardwoods of live oak and pecan, Spring has sprung here and the fields are green and dotted with blue, orange, and yellow wildflowers. The trees are just starting to leaf out and soon it will be summer and as I have been told hotter than the dickens.
Texas Blue Bonnets



We discovered a really cool store in our travels today; it’s called the Industrial Country Market. The whole place is off the grid, powered by solar power and outfitted with many self sustaining features, like hydroponic gardening and solar heated water. The grounds have a collection of eccentric art on display and I assume for sale. The owner had wild hair and wore a tie dyed shirt, I didn’t get to speak with him but I’m sure he is an interesting fellow. The store has all sorts of stuff both new and used; I bought ten used audio books for $2.00 a piece. We listen to them on the long stretches of interstate.

No comments:

Post a Comment