September road trip

September road trip
September road trip

Friday, January 24, 2014

My movie review



I don’t have much blog worthy news; we’ve just been doing regular stuff. I replaced the nitrogen cylinders that hold up the hood on jeep, I’m sure I replaced them a few years ago, but they weren’t holding the hood up so they had to go. I ride my bike everyday and Millie is very disciplined about going to the workout room or the group exercise class every morning.



Millie and I went the movies and saw a show called August: Osage County. I’m secure enough in my manhood to say I enjoyed this movie, but a lot of men probably won’t. This is a very well done drama with a smattering of dark comedy. Because it was adapted from a stage play it helps if you like live theater. The movie is what I call a characterization, meaning it’s more about the actor’s portrayal of the subjects than the story line. That’s another reason I don’t think a lot of men will like it, we like movies that follow the man code. It doesn’t matter what we’re doing; shopping, eating, or movies, the man code is applied to everything. For the uninitiated I will explain the code, it is very simple. 1. Identify objective, 2. Initiate plan of attack, 3 Secure objective, and 4.The happy ending. The movies like August: Osage county that are just a snapshot of time with no clear objective and no happy ending are in clear violation of the Man Code and that’s why you’ll never see the likes of Steven Seagal or Sylvester Stallone in one. Clint Eastwood used to only appear in movies that adhered to the code but then he did that Bridges of Madison County movie and left 15 million male viewers very confused.

All of the actors did a good job with their parts; Meryl Streep did an Oscar winning portrayal of Violet, the strong willed and contentious central character. Julia Roberts plays one of her daughters and did a great job character acting.

See you down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment